The closet is a place to store items behind closed doors, but unfortunately this often means the space becomes a disorganized mess in dire need of some TLC. If you’re tired of feeling overwhelmed every time you open the closet door, use these quick closet organization tricks to tame the mess. You’ll feel more relaxed and enjoy a much more productive closet space once you do.
CLEAR THE CLUTTER
The first step to getting an organized closet is to remove all of the items you have stored there. As you remove belongings one by one from hanging rods and shelves, place them in one of five piles:
- The discard pile is for anything torn, stained or otherwise damaged beyond repair. It’s not worth letting these items take up space in your closet.
- The dry clean pile is for sensitive fabrics that require special cleaning. Take in all your dry cleaning at once to prevent the need to take multiple trips.
- The mend pile is for any clothes you want to keep, but that need a little attention. Take these clothes to the sewing machine and patch them up before returning them to the closet.
- The donate pile is for gently used clothes and shoes you have either outgrown or no longer wear. If you recently lost a lot of weight, donating oversized clothes helps prevent future weight gain.
- The keep pile is for everything else, though some items may need to be relocated to a different spot in the house.
SET TIME ASIDE
Organizing a closet takes time, and you may not have several hours to spare on a single day. Pace yourself to make the project more manageable. As a rule, you might spend 15 minutes every day sorting through one corner of the closet. You’ll have all the items that don’t belong sorted out in just a few days.
INSTALL A CLOSET ORGANIZATION SYSTEM
Now, while the closet is empty, is the perfect time to design and install a custom closet system. Closet system features offer many benefits. First of all, creating an organized space helps ease your stress every time you open the closet door. Getting ready in the morning becomes a breeze when you can easily reach everything you need. Plus, if you ever decide to sell your home, an organized closet storage system is a great selling point.
If you need help implementing these closet organization ideas, please request a free quote from CornerStone Closets. Our designers have the experience necessary to design a custom closet perfect for your needs, regardless of the closet’s size. Need a do-over for a small reach-in closet? Have big plans for an expansive walk-in closet? We can do it all!